If you think you could have a gas leak you'll need to turn off the gas supply at the meter.
How to turn off your gas supply
Find the gas Emergency Control Valve.This is often outside in a meter box. If not, look under the stairs, under the kitchen sink and in the garage.
Turn the Emergency Control Valve's handle a quarter turn so the lever is at 90 degrees to the Emergency Control Valve's body.
- Open all windows and doors.
- Don't turn electrical switches on or off - including your TV, computer, oven, etc.
- Put out any naked lights (ﬂames), eg your hob or candles. Don't smoke, strike matches or do anything that could cause ignition.
- Open any electric doors or gates manually.
Carbon monoxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas and exposure to it can be fatal. It's produced when products containing carbon, typically fossil fuels, are burnt without enough oxygen.
To prevent this, boilers and central heating systems need regular servicing. A carbon monoxide detector - although not an alternative to regular servicing - will monitor the area it's fitted in and provide an early warning if something is wrong.
The symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be similar to flu. If you suspect Carbon Monoxide poisoning you may suffer from:
- General lethargy
- Flu-like symptoms that appear to get better when you are away from the area.
There's nothing more important than your safety. So if you are concerned about Carbon Monoxide, please call the Gas Emergency Services immediately on 0800 111 999, textphone 18001 0800 371 787.
What to do if you don't have electricity
Check your trip-switch(s) or fuse(s) to see if there is a fault with your wiring or an appliance. If all your appliances are affected see 2) below.
Check if your neighbours are affected. If so, it's possible the power is off in your local area so please contact your local electricity network operator, details are shown below - they should be able to give further guidance and say roughly how long the power will be off for.
Turn off appliances, but keep one light on so that you know when the power comes back on.